Monday, January 3, 2011

Reveillons-Nous!

So in French, the "Reveillon" is when you stay up super late on New year's eve (or Christmas eve, or whatever eve you like) and have a big party, in order to celebrate the REAL event at midnight. The verb "reveiller," however, means "wake up." So there are these signs all over town that say "Reveillons-Nous!" which is supposed to be a play on words, since it literally means "Let's wake up!" but it sounds like "Let's party!" ...It's not a very good play on words, it's not very funny, but it pretty much sums up my experience so far in France: We party all night, but then we always have to wake up early the next morning for something or other. It's a busy life.


So for New Year's we had a nice Reveillon at Christiane's house (the woman I am staying with in Rennes). Her sisters came, my parents were here, we ate a lot (as usual) and I struggled with my french (also as usual). The next morning we had to get up at 7am and see our parents off at the train station to catch their train to Paris.

I was also lucky enough to be in France for the Epiphany (January 2nd) which is celebrated with a special dessert called "Galette de Roi." It's a flaky pastry cake filled with sweet almond paste (frangipan). But here's the kicker: they hide a tiny porcelain charm (a "feve") inside the cake, and you cut it evenly for however many guests you have (so you eat the whole thing at once). Whoever gets the feve is the "Roi" (king) or "Renne" (queen) for the day! You get to wear a crown and everything! Elle and I BOTH got a feve, so we were royalty all day long. It was sweet. We had matching crowns.


For my last few days in Rennes, I went for a walk with MC through the Parc Thabor: A beautiful park in Rennes (The park's rose garden is featured above, but it's winter... so... yeah). I also saw some friends from Olaf who are staying here as well, went shopping, did laundry, and I've been eating a lot of Christmas chocolates.

Tomorrow Elle and I go to Paris! Woohoo!

Je vous aime,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment