Saturday, November 27, 2010

День Благодарения / THANKSGIVING!

Ok, so obviously Thanksgiving is a completely American Holiday, and Russians have no reason to celebrate it.... But I have to say, Thanksgiving in Russia was totally awesome. We didn't have a break from school on Thursday, but we did draw a lovely turkey on the chalk-board in spirit of the holiday. I wasn't expecting anything more than that in terms of holiday recognition, but once again I underestimate the AWESOMENESS of my Russian host mother: She surprised me by bringing home a roast chicken ("I'm sorry it's not a Turkey, but we just don't have turkeys here!"), and wishing me a Happy Thanksgiving! As it turns out, she spent all day at work reading about Thanksgiving, and she just thought it was the best holiday imaginable (she even printed out the wikipedia article and read it to me out loud). She was really curious about it, and we had the following conversation:

"How do Americans celebrate Thanksgiving? Do you give gifts?"
"No, we just give thanks!"
"Thanks for what?"
"For anything you want, whatever or whoever you are thankful for in life."
"Wonderful! What else do you do?"

"Well... we just... eat. All day long."
"You mean you have a big meal? Just in the evening, right?"
"....No. I mean ALL DAY."
"But it's just one meal?"
"Well... We just keep eating. We get up early to cook, and while we are cooking we eat. and when we're done cooking we eat again. And then we usually watch a movie and eat some more... Until it's time for dessert."
"UGH, Why can't we have a holiday like this in RUSSIA???"

We had a great time eating and giving thanks, drinking and make toasts (as is the Russian tradition). My mom said over and over how thankful she was to have me for a daughter, and I said over and over how thankful I was to have her as my AMAZING host mother. Seriously, how cool is it that she actually RESEARCHED Thanksgiving? She was so excited about it, it was adorable!! I also explained to her the concept of Black Friday, and how as soon as the Thanksgiving meal is over, we like to set up our Christmas trees and start singing/listening to Christmas music. Fa la la la laaaaaa!

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! All of the Oles in Novgorod (plus our American friend Jim) got together this weekend to celebrate! We made turkey, chicken, stuffing, green bean casserole, beets, corn, mashed potatoes, gravy, bread, sangria, wine, and for dessert: apple crisp. Everyone contributed to the cooking process, we had to use two kitchens simultaneously to get everything done, and I had to leave in the middle for choir rehearsal, but the meal was a total success. Oh yeah, and we gave thanks, too. Anyway, the end result is that I am now incredibly full, tired, and happy!

Missing everyone at home/Olaf (as usual) but loving every minute of Russia! Hope you all have a safe and happy Holiday season!

Love and Thanks to all,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment