Friday, February 4, 2011

More Reflecting and such

So I realize that in my last post I sound like I'm channeling Alanis Morisette, and I know it just sounds weird, but I'll leave it up there for posterity. Amsterdam was really great, despite my emotional awkwardness. I am now back in the good ol' U S of A, and I am happy as a clam! Home is great, I love my family, and I am excited to move back to St. Olaf campus tomorrow morning. Since I got home two days ago, I have: Had my teeth cleaned, gotten my eyes checked, done my laundry, gone back-to-school shopping, had coffee with a good friend, eaten no fewer than 6 sloppy joes, and celebrated Chinese New Year with my Chinese family (Gung hei fat choy!) I feel pretty accomplished, and ready to go back to Olaf.

As far as reflection on this whole experience: OMG IT WAS AWESOME. No, really, it was! I wouldn't trade it for anything. I learned so much about myself, about people in general, about the world and the way it all works; I've had so many eye-opening experiences, met so many amazing people, and seen so many unforgettable things! I'm glad to be home, but all I really want to know is... When can I go back???

Although I know I'm too poor to afford another big trip anytime soon, I'm just outrageously thankful that I had (and took) the opportunity to do so much traveling. I am a brighter, better Sarah because of it, I'm sure. As I said many times to my good friend Bill Hoy yesterday: "I just got back from 5 months abroad --- I am SOOOO Cultured!" I say it as a joke, but really, this trip has changed me (and I'm sure I'll notice more changes as I deal with the culture shock of returning to hectic college life). Anyway, before this post starts to look too Alanis Morisette-y like the last one, I'll end this post with one last story from my trip (Enjoy!)

Airport anecdote: I didn't have a book to read before departing for my 16-hour trip home, and I figured I would buy a book at the airport. I found the book I wanted (which happened to be just about the cheapest book in the store) and it was 10.95 euros, but I only had 10.30 left! Well, I decided I could NOT sit on planes and wait in airports for 16 hours with nothing to do, so... I asked a stranger if he could spare 65 cents. Luckily, he was pretty cool about it, although he laughed at me a little when I explained my situation. I thanked him as he handed me the change, but as I walked away I realized that he had miscounted and only given me 56 cents! I couldn't bring myself to turn around and correct him, so then I had to ask 4 other people before I found someone with a 10 cent piece. I did get laughed at a few more times, but hey, I succeeded in getting the book. The End!

Love you all, the Blog ends here!
Sarah

1 comment:

  1. What was his native language (the guy who gave you 56 instead of 65)? Going between English and German it is easy to make that mistake (I know I have).

    ReplyDelete